Mr. Munger was born in Fayette County, Texas
on July 24, 1854, a son of Hamilton M. and Jane T. Munger,
natives of Connecticut and Tennessee, respectively. He
was educated at Trinity University, located at Tehuacana,
Texas, and as a member of a large and influential business
family, he early became identified with large industries
in this State. He was a Democrat who had never held office,
did not hold membership in any fraternal or social ogranization,
and admits that his chief pleasure lies in his work.
In 1878 Mr. Munger was married to Miss Mary Collett. Their
family consisted of eight children: Collett, Robley, Eugene,
Ross, Ruby, Lonnie, Mary and Margaret.
In 1905 Robert S. Munger began planning his new development.
Munger's plan was experimental; he offered lots - not
houses - to his buyers. Before the lots were sold, he
provided curbs, gutters, sidewalks and water, gas and
sewer lines. Electrical and telephone lines were strung
along the alleys, and foundations were raised from one
to four feet above street level to provide a grander prospect.
Zoning was unknown as a planning tool, but Munger specified
certain deed restrictions. On Swiss Avenue, houses had
to be two full stories of brick or stone and cost a minimum
of $10,000. Speculative construction was not permitted,
and each house had to be owner occupied (later these last
restrictions were relaxed).
- Source and author unkown