Click to go to
Home Page


Choose options below...


THE SWISS AVENUE
WOMEN'S GUILD









HISTORIC
SWISS AVENUE









RESOURCES






   
5420   5514

YEAR BUILT: 1917
ARCHITECT/BUILDER: Hal Thompson
ORIGINAL OWNER: William J. Lewis
ORIGINAL
DESCRIPTION:
Two story French ecletic. Tan Roman brick. Slate roof. Hip roof w/two oval dormers; finials. Three pavilions; outer two have hip roofs, quoins around windows, iron balconies on second floor; first floor windows are arches, have heavy mullions and has relief stone garlands above windows. Center pavilion is of limestone; triangular gable w/shuttered opening and finial within broken triangular pediment and stone balustrade at attic level; stone balcony w/finials under second floor window. Entry has Ionic columns, stone lintel w/carved swags and bracket, iron grill at recessed entry. Iron lanterns either side. Full width raised open terrace w/stone balustrade and four black iron urns. One story loggias at either side w/carved stone lintels and Doric columns.
OF INTEREST: Although the first owner was West Texas rancher William Lewis, the home is known as the Aldredge house. In 1921, George Aldredge, a banker, and Rena (Munger) Aldredge purchased the home and lived here for almost 50 years. In 1973, the Aldredge family donated the house to the Dallas County Medical Society Auxiliary. Today the home is used for parties and weddings and was the location for scenes from the television series ˝Dallas.ţ
VIDEOS: Swiss Avenue Historic District - Mother's Day Home Tour 2005
Swiss Avenue Historic District - Mother's Day Home Tour 2006
PHOTO GALLERY:

Feb 14, 2004 - Most snow since 1985