|OF INTEREST :
|| The gates at Fitzhugh St and Swiss Avenue designate the entrance to the neighborhood. Developed by Robert S. Munger and managed by son, Collett, beginning in 1905, almost one hundred houses would comprise the dream 1930. In 1857, Henri Boll named Swiss Avenue after his native country. It was a dusty rural lane then. By the 1870s lower Swiss, the part closer to downtown, had been developed.
Unfortunately, the magnificent gates were removed from Fitzhugh and Swiss in 1969.
In 1985 Mary Grace Wilhite, who lived at 5622 Swiss Avenue, launched the fund drive that financed the rebuilding of the gates on Swiss Avenue. All who donated $1,000 or more had their names inscribed upon the gates. The newspaper article and original invitation is shown below.